Happy Birthday to my Princess!! My beautiful daughter had a birthday earlier this week, and I wasn't there! But I promised her that will never happen again. If you are reading this angel, I want to wish you a Happy Birthday, I miss you, and I Love You.
Sorry I haven't updated in over a week. I have been getting used to my new surroundings and my new routine. I want to say thanks to everyone that has posted a message on the blog. I hope have emailed each of you that have given me your email address in the message. I also appreciate those that have posted anonymously and/or have not provided an email address. Thanks for all your words of encouragement to both myself and the service members that I serve with. Everyone appreciates it, and all are anxious to come back home.
So what exactly are we doing over here? Great question. The role of the US Military is to help this poor country rebuild an army capable of defending this country against foreign and domestic enemies. This country has been under a dictatorship for so long, and it takes time to change to an army that can function under democracy. Time will tell if we will be successful.
Now, what exactly am I doing over here? That's not as easy to answer. Because of security reasons, I am not able to identify on a map where I am located. Some of my descriptions on the blog will be deliberately vague. However, I can always expand more in email if you would like to know more. I am located in the general vacinity of central Iraq. My job here is to help train Iraqi officers assigned to Combat Arms branches of the Iraqi Army (IA). Basically, Infantry officers. My location is an installation that is used for firing all sorts of weapons. Tanks, Field Artillery, rockets, grenades, small- and large-caliber weapons, and mortars for both the IA and Coalition forces.
In this role, I have the unique opportunity to work directly with Iraqi soldiers both with and without the help of interpreters. The installation commander here is an Iraqi officer, and we have dinner with him frequently. He is an excellent source for knowledge about this country in its current state as well as its past.
Here are a couple of recent pictures. I will update as time allows, but as I get into a routine, I find that there aren't many new things happening. However, I will try to continue giving more information about the people of Iraq and our mission here.

Iraqi soldiers on the firing line.

My boss with an Iraqi soldier, a view of the range, and me driving.
Sorry I haven't updated in over a week. I have been getting used to my new surroundings and my new routine. I want to say thanks to everyone that has posted a message on the blog. I hope have emailed each of you that have given me your email address in the message. I also appreciate those that have posted anonymously and/or have not provided an email address. Thanks for all your words of encouragement to both myself and the service members that I serve with. Everyone appreciates it, and all are anxious to come back home.
So what exactly are we doing over here? Great question. The role of the US Military is to help this poor country rebuild an army capable of defending this country against foreign and domestic enemies. This country has been under a dictatorship for so long, and it takes time to change to an army that can function under democracy. Time will tell if we will be successful.
Now, what exactly am I doing over here? That's not as easy to answer. Because of security reasons, I am not able to identify on a map where I am located. Some of my descriptions on the blog will be deliberately vague. However, I can always expand more in email if you would like to know more. I am located in the general vacinity of central Iraq. My job here is to help train Iraqi officers assigned to Combat Arms branches of the Iraqi Army (IA). Basically, Infantry officers. My location is an installation that is used for firing all sorts of weapons. Tanks, Field Artillery, rockets, grenades, small- and large-caliber weapons, and mortars for both the IA and Coalition forces.
In this role, I have the unique opportunity to work directly with Iraqi soldiers both with and without the help of interpreters. The installation commander here is an Iraqi officer, and we have dinner with him frequently. He is an excellent source for knowledge about this country in its current state as well as its past.
Here are a couple of recent pictures. I will update as time allows, but as I get into a routine, I find that there aren't many new things happening. However, I will try to continue giving more information about the people of Iraq and our mission here.

Iraqi soldiers on the firing line.

My boss with an Iraqi soldier, a view of the range, and me driving.

8 Comments:
Wow. I cannot look at these pictures and not have a full heart. You are doing a wonderful thing for these people protecting their country and civil rights. YOu've reserved your place in history for sure.
We love you!
I am an old fart and this business of blogging is blowing my mind. Still I just want you to know that your "only friend" is thinking of you and keeping you close in my prayers. I see your Mom almost every single day. My e-mail address is bweaver318@aol.com. I would love to get an e-mail from you. It is over 100 degrees today and will probably stay this way until Fall. Guess you have your share of "heat" too. Take care my only friend and know that we are proud of all of you for the lives you save and those not. Come home ASAP.
Love Bev and Phil
Son, we just got home from Karen's and had a wonderful time with the kids and even the adults. Your name came in most of the conversations from people who do not have loved ones over there but are very grateful for your participation in the quest for independence for those folks over there. I was asked if I was alright with you being deployed over there and my honest answer was that I had served our country and that I felt that you are contiuing our pledge to serve however they need us. I read the news every day and watch the general situation unfold over there and have to wonder how long before they can protect themselves and have control of the insurgents. Thanks for keeping the blog updated, very interesting to read. I will close for now and will write again soon. Love you Son....
Bruce,
Your dad just sent me your blog. Very interesting and the pictures are great. I'm sure you know we are all behind you and your efforts to do your duty for our country. You are constantly in our prayers and ever in our thoughts each day.
Love, Lynette (jldono@peoplepc.com)
Hi Bruce - IGreat pictures! It looks hot and dusty. I would love to send you a care package! Karen said you love Planters Sunflower seeds so I am stocking up. I need more information on where to send the package to, my email is kielisa@msn.com. Take care and find some shade! Lisa Killion
Bruce, good to hear from you. Keep up the good work, we are always thinking of you and all the troops. Keep safe and a strong will. See you soon.
Hi, Son. It's great to see an update from you, and OF you. I feel like it's my 'care package' from you! But my heart aches to have my son home, safe and sound. I am SO proud of you. And don't you fret......you be proud as well, ok? It might not hit you till you get home, the sense of pride you will have inside of you for what you've done for your country and for those of us at home who are supporting you and your fellow troops. Keep the faith!
I love you with all of my being, and miss you every minute of each day.
Mom
What a great job you are doing! I know it is so tough being gone from the family especially on birthday's. I hope for a better life for all the young girls in Iraq. I've got to think that girl's your daughter's age are going to live a way better life because of your hard work. You're in our thoughts and prayers.
Kevin Debi & Gabriel Garcia
Post a Comment
<< Home